100 years and growing
Looking back at 100 years of Gilchrist County History.
1935
The new bridge crossing the Suwannee River at Fannin Springs, will be open to traffic on May 1st. Construction on the steel bridge began on January 1, 1934. The new bridge which is painted silver was much appreciated by the public. This new steel bridge replaced the old wooden bridge that crossed the Suwannee in Fannin Springs.
1945
The Bell Boys High School Basketball team members were Marvin Sanders, C.D. Moore, Ovid Jones, Harold Sanders, Rex Cannon, Herbert Blackwell and Doyle Polk.
1976
Mrs. Vera Lindsey was a Gilchrist County School Board member, in fact she was the very first women to be a school board member in the county. She also was the first female school bus driver in the county.
Mrs. Carolyn Wilson resigned as legal secretary to the County Judge. She served as Judge Miller Lang’s secretary for almost 14 years. Judge E.M. Akins was Judge in 1955 when Mrs. Wilson started work in the judges office.
The Florida Division of Drivers Licenses opened it’s first official office in the county. It was a mobile home located next to the County Jail.
1999
Thomas Cannon of Bell High School signed an athletic scholarship with Fordham University. His football coach Ed Davis and Principal Dr. Jim Longstreth were at the signing ceremony along with his parents Hillman and Tressie Cannon.